The Town of Alton, New Hampshire (pop. 5,400) is seeking resumes for the full-time position of Assessor. Our Assessor will be retiring at the end of 2018 and will be assisting with the transition of a new Assessor during December. Alton is located in the Lakes Region area of New Hampshire and is situated on Lake Winnipesaukee, NH’s largest lake. Alton is a summertime seasonal destination point, which increases in population to 15,000-20,000+ for the summer months. The Town is governed by a five-member Board of Selectmen with a Town Administrator.
The Assessing Department is located in the Town Hall at 1 Monument Square. In addition to the fulltime Assessor, the Departmental staff includes two part-time secretaries and one part-time contracted Measurer/Lister. A department vehicle is available for property visits.
The Town is a SB2 Town and the 2018 budget for the Assessing Department is approximately $150,000. Properties include the following:
• 5,800 total parcels. 1,458 are waterfront and out of those waterfront parcels, there are 398 parcels of island properties.
• 81 parcels are Town owned with 1,067.025 acres of land.
• 23 parcels are State owned with 1,124.55 acres of land.
• 28 parcels are charitable owned with 746.99 acres of land.
In 2017, the Assessing Department completed a total in-house update of all assessments in Alton. The 2017 total assessed value is $1,711,107,085 plus $89,608,455 of exempt assessment value. The 2017 sale to assessment equalization ratio is 99.8% per DRA. The Assessing Department has completed an in-house assessment update almost every year since 2005 using Vision Cama. Beginning in 2019 the Assessing Department will have completed a transition conversion to Avitar Cama.
Responsibilities include maintaining a complete roll of the appraised values of properties and property improvements in the Town; preparation and maintenance of all assessments and tax rolls; field inspections; CAMA system maintenance; monitoring and remaining cognizant with statute amendments concerning the Assessing Department; BTLA case representation; Assessing software monitoring, input, and experience; taxpayer inquiries and problem solving. Exterior work is conducted year round in all types of weather.
Minimum requirements include:
• DRA certification - Property Assessor Supervisor
• Experience with NHDRA and BTLA
• Assessing software experience required. Avitar preferred
• Experience with personnel management of an Assessing Department or related field
• Valid driver’s license
• Any equivalent combination of education and experience, which demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform all functions of the position.
Salary range - $70,000 - $80,000 for applicants with a State of NH DRA certification as a Property Assessor Supervisor, with experience. $63,745.00 for non-certified applicants and within three years must obtain certification through the State of NH DRA as a Property Assessor Supervisor. Starting salary will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. Competitive benefit package. Open until filled. EOE. A job description is available on the Town of Alton website at www.alton.nh.gov. Send cover letter, resume, and references to:
Elizabeth Dionne, Town Administrator
Town of Alton
PO Box 659
Alton, New Hampshire 03809