TOWN OF ALTON, NEW HAMPSHIRE
REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS
Consulting Engineering Services
April 30, 2021
The Town of Alton is seeking Requests for Proposals (RFP) for consulting engineering services to include road plan review, stormwater and drainage report review, and construction inspections for subdivisions and site plans.
Jessica A. Call
P.O. Box 659
1 Monument Square
Alton, NH 03809
Telephone: (603) 875-2162
Alton is located in Belknap County at the southern end of Lake Winnipesaukee, around the four (4)-mile-long inlet known as Alton Bay. The village of Alton Bay is located at the southern tip of the bay, while the main village of Alton is located one (1) mile farther south. The town is drained by the Merrymeeting River, the main inlet to Alton Bay. With 83 square miles of territory, Alton is one of the largest towns in the Lakes Region, and in the state. Roughly 64.3 square miles, or 41,123 acres, is land, while approximately 18 square miles, or 12,608 acres, is water. Alton’s large land size gives it a relatively low population density of 76.5 people per square mile with a year round population of approximately 5,300 residents, and a seasonal population of an estimated 15,000.
The following table shows the number of applications approved by the Alton Planning Board over the last five (5) years. One major subdivision application was submitted with new road construction. Five previously approved subdivisions with road construction are ongoing.
Site Plan Review
2020: 1 Minor, 1 Major
2019: 4 Minor, 1 Major
2018: 4 Minor, 4 Major
2017: 2 Minor, 3 Major
2016: 5 Minor, 8 Major
2020: 6 Minor, 2 Major
2019: 7 Minor, 1 Major
2018: 6 Minor, 0 Major
2017: 3 Minor, 0 Major
2016: 0 Minor, 1 Major
Lot Line Adjustment
The Town of Alton will be contracting with two (2) consulting engineers who will be assigned to review the items listed below in the Scope of Services on a rotating basis as tracked by the Planning Department. The engineer who reviews the plans/reports/calculations for a project shall be the engineer to perform the construction observations for that project.
Scope of Services
The scope of services includes, but is not limited to:
• review of drainage calculations and reports, stormwater management reports, and studies and plans for subdivisions and site plans;
• review of road construction plans as part of subdivisions and site plans;
• construction observations during road construction and drainage and stormwater management improvements' installation as part of subdivisions and site plans:
- typically, municipal construction observations will occur during the following construction activities or project involvement:
- pre-construction meeting;
- material submittal review – drawings, cut sheets, gradation reports, etc.;
- erosion control – establishment, maintenance, and removal;
- clearing & grubbing – site preparation and layout/control;
- cuts & fills – material gradation, layout, placement, and compaction;
- utility construction – water, sewer, drainage, and underground utilities;
- site/road construction – subgrade, crushed gravel and gravel placement, curbing, guardrail, fencing, paving operations, signage, and pavement markings; and,
- site restoration – turf establishment, sod placement, landscaping, lighting, etc.
- construction observations include field operations, office activities, and project management tasks. Typically, the Town's consulting engineer reviews project submittals, observes construction activities, prepares observation logs/reports, communicates with project representatives, and documents project progress, compliance or non-compliance.
- the frequency and duration of construction observations will be determined by the complexity of the project, size of the project, and compliance with the approved drawings, permits, and municipal reference specifications. Normally, construction observations are not full time and may be performed intermittently, according to the construction schedule.
• review of security estimates prepared by applicants' professionals against proposed plans to verify accuracy of estimate and to suggest any necessary changes;
• as construction proceeds, review all requests for security releases to confirm incremental project completion and project compliance of specific completed items, and make recommendations relative to releases to the Planning Board;
• review requested field changes during construction and seek Planning Board approval as needed;
• participate in final site walks for subdivisions and site plans, prepare punch list items for completion, and confirm satisfactory completion of projects for Planning Board's final sign-off;
• review As-built plans to confirm compliance with approved project plans and submit a written report of the review to the Planning Board and applicant; and,
• attend meetings at the request of the Planning Board.
• In the performance of the services requested, the consulting engineer shall be an independent contractor. The consulting engineer shall perform the services on behalf of the Town and will serve as the Town's agent.
• The applicant shall disclose any financial, business, or other relationships with the Town of Alton that may have an impact on the outcome of this contract or any resulting construction project.
• To avoid potential conflicts of interest, the applicant shall agree not to undertake work from private developers in the Town of Alton that would require approval from the Town, e.g. subdivision, site plan, variance, special exception applications, for the duration of the contract with the Town of Alton.
• The applicant shall provide a summary of the firm's current insurance coverage for comprehensive, general liability, professional liability, automotive liability, and workers' compensation insurance. Indicate the limits of coverage on each policy.
• The issuance of this RFP is not a guarantee that the Town of Alton will select any of the applicants that submit a proposal. The Town reserves the right to withdraw this RFP or to reject all proposals received in response to it. The Town of Alton assumes no responsibility or liability for costs incurred by recipients of this RFP in responding to it or in responding to any subsequent information requests.
• The consulting engineer shall be a Professional Engineer licensed in the State of New Hampshire, with a minimum of five years' experience.
The Town of Alton may terminate this contract at any time for any reason by giving at least thirty (30) days' notice in writing to the contractor. If the contract is terminated by the Town of Alton, as provided herein, the contractor will be paid a fair payment, as negotiated with the Town of Alton for the work completed and materials supplied as of the date of termination.
The applicant shall provide the following information for consideration:
• Statement of qualifications and proposal for engineering services, to include the experience of each company staff person expected to work with the Town, any consultants and subcontractors, company history and outline of capabilities, including previous work for municipalities.
• Copies of all applicable certificates of insurance.
• A list of references with contact information.
• A current fee schedule of billing rates for the tasks identified and individuals to be assigned to the work, including any reimbursable expenses.
• All proposals must be received at the Alton Town Hall no later than May 28, 2021, at 2:00 p.m. Questions shall be directed to Jessica A. Call, Town Planner, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 14, 2021, to give ample time to answer them before the submittal deadline.
• One (1) electronic PDF and ten (10) copies clearly marked "Consulting Engineering Services Proposals" shall be hand delivered or mailed and addressed as follows:
Consulting Engineering Svcs.
Town of Alton
1 Monument Square
Consulting Engineering Svcs.
Town of Alton
P.O. Box 659
Alton, NH 03809
• Telephone proposals will not be accepted in response to a Request for Proposals.
Proposal Review, Evaluation, and Selection Process
Proposals will be reviewed by the Town to determine which consulting engineers will be selected to participate in an interview with the Town.
It is the intent of the Town to select consulting engineers in accordance with the following tentative schedule:
- RFP sent out on April 30, 2021;
- Questions to be submitted by May 14, 2021;
- Answers to any questions to be sent out no later than May 21, 2021;
- RFP submission deadline May 28, 2021, at 2:00 p.m.; and,
- Projected interview date, June 15, 2021, Planning Board meeting.