The Town of Alton, New Hampshire (pop. 5,400) is seeking resumes for the full-time position of Assessor. Alton is located in the Lakes Region area of New Hampshire and is situated on Lake Winnipesaukee, NH’s largest lake. Alton is a summertime seasonal destination point, which increases in population to 15,000-20,000+ for the summer months. The Town is governed by a five-member Board of Selectmen with a Town Administrator.
The Assessing Department is located in the Town Hall at 1 Monument Square on Route 11. In addition to the fulltime Assessor, the Department includes one full-time secretary and a contracted company for measuring and listing.
The Town is a SB2 Town and the 2020 budget for the Assessing Department is approximately $150,000. Properties include the following:
• 5,800 total parcels. 1,254 are waterfront and out of those waterfront parcels, there are 311 parcels of island properties.
• 73 parcels are Town owned with 975 acres of land.
• 22 parcels are State owned with 1,169 acres of land.
• 29 parcels are charitable owned with 891.32 acres of land.
In 2019, the Assessing Department completed a partial in-house update of assessments in Alton. The 2019 total assessed value is $1,752,947,207 plus $845,756 of exempt assessment value. The Assessing Department has completed an in-house assessment update almost every year since 2005 using Vision Cama. The Assessing Department is currently in transition with a conversion to Avitar Cama.
Responsibilities include maintaining a complete roll of the appraised values of properties and property improvements in the Town; preparation and maintenance of all assessments and tax rolls; field inspections; CAMA system maintenance; monitoring and remaining cognizant with statute amendments concerning the Assessing Department; BTLA case representation; Assessing software monitoring, input, and experience; taxpayer inquiries and problem solving. Exterior work is conducted year round in all types of weather. A department vehicle is available for property visits.
Minimum requirements include:
• DRA certification - Property Assessor Supervisor
• Experience with NHDRA and BTLA
• Assessing software experience required. Avitar preferred
• Experience with personnel management of an Assessing Department or related field
• Valid driver’s license
• Any equivalent combination of education and experience, which demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform all functions of the position.
Applicants are preferred to have a State of NH DRA certification as a Property Assessor Supervisor, with experience. Non-certified applicants will be required to obtain certification through the State of NH DRA as a Property Assessor Supervisor within three years of hire. Starting salary will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. Competitive benefit package. Position open until filled. EOE. A job description is available on the Town website at www.alton.nh.gov. Send cover letter with resume and references via postal mail or email to:
Postal mail: Elizabeth Dionne, Town Administrator
Town of Alton
PO Box 659
Alton, New Hampshire 03809